Moving to Denver was such an ordeal, at least in some ways. I enjoyed it, but man was it long and hard. Picking up furniture, loading all my stuff in a U-Haul, and the worst part, cleaning my Dallas apartment. What an annoyance. But thats just part of the deal. Once the furniture was loaded, things got so much easier.
The drive to Denver was as easy as a 900 mile drive over 2 days through barren country. I've never seen country as barren as Western Kansas. It's worse than driving between Wichita Falls and Amarillo. Thats how barren it is. But road tripping with my dad was a welcome event since I haven't spent all that much consistent time with him since I left home for SMU. We stopped for a night in Salina, KS and drove into Denver the next day (March 5).
Movers moved all my stuff into my apartment (and set up the couch) in about 90 minutes, a far cry from the afternoon my dad and I spent loading stuff into the truck. Talk about a great investment. Not sure I'll ever move myself again. I spent Thursday afternoon alone in the apartment assembling the coffee table and setting up stuff. Much of what I brought I had never seen because my mom bought me a bunch of stuff right before I left.
God threw us a little curveball last weekend. Dad was supposed to fly out Friday morning, and Mom was scheduled to fly in Friday morning. But of course Dallas-Ft Worth got a freakish snow storm like we hadn't gotten in years, in March of all months. Southlake got 3 inches of actual snow, and Denton got a half foot or more of snow. This all happened Thursday, but it cancelled Dad and Mom's flights going opposite ways. So Dad stayed an extra day and Mom got to Denver a day late. Dad and I went to see Semi Pro. That is possibly the worst movie ever made in cinematic quality. But it did have some really funny lines ("I wish you were still a washer!" was the best). I wish it hadn't been totally obscene during some scenes though.
Dad left EARLY Saturday morning (we got up to go to the airport at 5 am). Mom wasn't scheduled in until 12:40 pm, so I went back to the hotel, got ready, and then spent hours setting up my apartment. Mom's plane was further delayed till 1:30 pm. After lunch, we spent the afternoon getting the apartment further up to speed, particularly the kitchen, where I had no idea what to do.
After a late start Sunday, we went to SuperTarget and got a ton of stuff to completely outfit the apartment. After getting the apartment completely in order (finally), I took Mom to the airport.
A note about this briefly: Saying goodbye to parents is always hard, but it was even harder in this case. I think I could have gotten through it somehow if they both left at the same time, but having them leave at different times made it so hard. It's much harder to have to say goodbye twice in 2 days. As excited as I am to be in Denver, I miss my parents and sister a lot!!!
Sunday night, I chilled, made Tuna Helper (and overstuffed myself), and watched Vertigo. What a bizarre movie. I really liked it, but it sure was bizarre! Jimmy Stewart is awesome, by the way. By the time I finished the movie, prepared for my first day, and read the Word, it was late and I only got about 6 hours of sleep.
These are some pictures of my apartment I took to show everyone a small snapshot of what it looks like. The rooms are pretty self-explanatory. I like to joke that my apartment looks "metrosexual," but that's a little extreme. Everything looks fantastic... its just nothing like any of my apartments before, and my friends will be able to tell. But I am moving up in the world, and perhaps my apartment should have a little sophistication!!
No comments:
Post a Comment