Since it's after 1 am, I will keep it fairly brief, but it won't do this day justice. Work today was absolutely miserable 75% of the time and pretty manageable 25% of the time. I'm just burnt out, plain and simple. Testing is not glorious, and when tempers flare unexpectedly with little reward from anywhere, I just feel a little bit like quitting. It just doesn't seem worth it. And I carried the baggage of my stressful day to my community group meeting tonight. I just wanted to curl up into a ball in my bed and sleep the rest of July 1st away.
That would have been an exceedingly dumb decision. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Tonight, from about 8pm to 1am, has been nonstop amazing. These are the times when I truly love living in Denver. I can't imagine myself anywhere else right now. My community group friends are freakin' amazing, and it showed tonight. We had a deep discussion about community and what living life together really looks like in the context of the body of Christ. Next week, we'll continue unpacking our own stories for others to see, and I think it will be an awesome experience. But tonight was so refreshing to see a bunch of other people ready and willing to "throw in" with each other. As I think about the experience, what I loved about that time is that it didn't make me want to be any of the people in that room. I didn't want to be Kraig or Amanda or Daniel or Theo or anything else there. Talking with them drives me straight to the cross, where I find myself wanting to be Reed, a man after God's own heart like David. And that's where I saw and experienced joy in the Lord today.
I wanted to stay and hear all of the other stories of joy in our midst, but I had to run off to downtown to The Meadowlark to see David play in a band. That was its own fresh experience. This little tiny awesome venue served as the backdrop for some funky, uncut, very original music in the band he played with (Jonny Woodrose and the Broken Hearted Woodpeckers). It was also great to catch up with David and Emma after the show, a joy I haven't gotten to experience in a good many weeks.
Finally, my whole concert experience was that much more incredible by going to the concert with my new buddy Kevin. He's such an encouragement in his heart for the church and his overall love for the Lord. We had a good chat (that hopefully will continue soon) on Watermark and ministry in general. No matter whether he is with us for 1 month or 10 years, he should have a lot of good ideas for us as we continue to grow and reach out to the people around us.
An exhausting day/night, but one worth remembering!
Going to Dallas tomorrow! Very psyched!
No comments:
Post a Comment