A Chronicle of a Life

Welcome to my blog! Check back regularly for updates on life, living, and growing in Christ.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Joy of the LORD is my Strength, part 2

Today was not a day filled with adversity, but even the adversity that I experienced during testing today at work was a stern reminder that my joy was NOT resting in the Lord. Instead, I experienced a shallow happiness at times that was totally dependent upon the circumstance instead of rooted in the Rock, Jesus. And yet there were times today when I would look around at the stress on others' faces and just smile knowing that the burden of sin and performance is completely off of my shoulders. And so that has been my thought for the day: I am so susceptible to making my view of myself reflective of my employment, and yet God calls me to fight to allow Him to be my identity, the place where I find my joy and satisfaction.

As I read the email Michael sent to the men of our church today, my biggest takeaway was the subject line: FIGHT. It's certainly not a matter of just making the effort. God has to show up and do the work that allows us to be joyful in Him. But there are so many times when I just don't want to show up and fight for His joy. Not quite what God calls me to.

Right now, my joy in the Lord is best represented in the newfound zeal God has given me for two areas of service in our church: learning the light setup at our new location and training others, and also owning the church website edits. Such simple and seemingly mundane tasks are so much more exciting knowing that excelling them brings joy and glory to the Lord as I pursue them not as ends but as means to glorify the End Himself.

No comments: